Friday, February 6, 2015

The First Thing-- by Naomi

When you open a book, what's the first thing you read? Besides Chapter 1 it'll be the first sentence. Everyone has heard of, "It was a dark and stormy night...." or "once upon a time"... and those, let's face it, are now not original.

So, what are some good first sentences? I'm glad you want to know! Let me just head over to my Young Adult Contemporary shelf and pull a few of my favorites off... :)



One year ago my mom get traded in for a newer model.-- So Not Happening by Jenny B. Jones
(I loved this whole trilogy and highly recommend them if you love funny YA.)
















I'm ninety-nine percent sure the only reason I'm interested in Palmer Davis is because I know without a doubt I could never have him. -- The Revised Life of Ellie Sweet by Stephanie Morrill



People never ask me the right question when they ask me what happened the beginning of my senior year.-- Like Moonlight At Low Tide by Nicole Quigley

















In each of the examples above, I feel like the first sentence gives you a feel for how the books is. How the book is supposed to be. In the Jenny B. Jones example above, it clues you in on what's going on or going to happen. It's amusing while introducing that the main character's life isn't all that picture perfect.

In  the example from Stephanie Morrill's book it tells that it's going to be sweet. (Pun not intended....) A story about 'Girl wants Boy'.

In the last example, it seems to introduce a story that's full of questions, and maybe sad.

Do you want to share the first line from one of your stories?

I'll go first incase that encourages you guys to comment. *deep breath*

            Most of the time, I prefer to be alone, but every now and then, I long to be with someone who truly cares about me.-- by Naomi

So go ahead. What's yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment

You're going to comment? That's awesome! We love to read what you guys have to say! Just remember....
be nice and no spam please or you will be deleted!
Naomi or Kara will try to reply to every comment, and if not, we still read every single one.
God bless!